[pct-l] Tipping

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Mon Dec 25 14:50:28 CST 2006

Trail lesson #1 - Life is not fair. Temperature, elevation, humidity, and mosquito population levels vary according to how the Trail Gods feel about you at the moment.

Trail lesson #2 - You have no inherent RIGHT to anyone's property or services along the trail so don't make an ass of yourself by expecting or demanding same.

I like the way the now-defunct Wardholm West B&B at Snoqualmie Pass and the Alderbrook Manor B&B in Etna handle the issue. Their services are definitely for hire.  What services you get and at what rate are posted, announced, and payable up front. Extras, like shuttles to and from the trail, are on a time-available (if at all) basis at no extra charge. It takes all the uncertainty (and some of the fun) out of the equation.

Tip jars always bother me for two reasons. One: as we've seen before, not all who hike are honest and might make a withdrawal rather than a deposit before leaving, especially if the hiker before them just left a tempting sum. Two: how much to leave without seeming insulting vs. how much can I afford? Do I have services I can offer in lieu of cash?

In an ideal world, hikers would offer to pay according to their perceived value of the service(s) received. A ten mile ride down an exposed blacktop highway in the middle of the afternoon might not seem like a big deal to the driver, but when it's 105° out there in the shade and I've just covered 15 miles, I'm reaching for my wallet!   If the offerred payment is declined, that is certainly the provider's right and a sincere "thank you" will have to do for the trail magic you have encountered.

Trail lesson #3 - be openly grateful for any and all services rendered, irregardless of the magnitude thereof. We who hike need these trail angels far more than they need us. In fact, it amazes me how these kind souls can continue to put up with the unwashed masses that pass through their lives without turning the dogs loose on them.

Wandering Bob