[pct-l] Dogs on the trail

Nathan Miller erccmacfitheal at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 26 10:33:30 CST 2006

"Jon Danniken" <danniken at comcast.net> wrote:

"LeRoy Ramirez" wrote:
>> Anyone have advice?  I'm going thru in April.

>Well, I'd say that unless you have solid
experience with animal care
as it
concerns the physical demands of distance hiking
on a dog, you might
want to
get it, first. You'll also want to realize that
in some areas, such
as
within most National Parks, dogs are not
permitted.

You might also want to keep in mind that you'll
likely encounter at least one person along the
trail who will be notably less-than-thrilled
about your dog's presence.  You'll also want to
be absolutely certain that your dog is as
well-behaved as you think he/she is.  I'd be
willing to bet real money that nearly every dog
attack involved an owner who swore up and down
that their dog "was a good dog."  Also be aware
that most places will have something resembling
leash laws.  An uncontrolled, unrestrained dog is
a danger to itself and others.  You might also be
aware that if your dog is small enough, he/she
may be regarded by certain megafauna as being "on
the menu."  My advise is that you should
seriously consider treating your dog as you would
a family member and leave them home while you're
on your trek.

-Nathan Miller
Newberg, OR