[pct-l] Tipping

Jim and/or Ginny Owen spiriteagle99 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 26 11:44:27 CST 2006

There is a difference between running a business and doing trail magic.  You
can do magic while running your business (i.e. comping people) but they are
separate things - or should be.  Otherwise it's too confusing.  To my mind -
a business expects money.  I am quite happy to pay for services received.
I've stayed at hostels and happily put money in the kitty - but it was up
front that money was expected.  I've stayed at motels where the owners gave
me a lot of unexpected kindness - and I didn't pay them for the extra
because it was done out of generosity, not in expectation of reimbursement.
A trail angel is giving out of the kindness of their hearts and doesn't
expect anything in return - except smiles.  I've run into several trail
angels who got upset when hikers attempted to give them money in return for
their kindness.  So I don't think of giving money to those who offer out of
kindness - any more than I expect money when I do kindness for others.  It's
not a gift if you expect money - it's a business.

One of the problems on all the trails is hikers who expect businesses to act
out of love.  They get upset when the business asks for money for shuttles
or accepting mail drops etc.  They shouldn't.  They knew up front that the
motel, or hostel or lodge was there to run a business.  Any magic is a
bonus, not to be expected.  But at the same time, if you present yourself as
an angel, doing kindness to hikers because you enjoy their company - I don't
think it's fair to expect to be paid for it.  If you want to get paid - even
on a donation basis - call yourself a hostel or an inn, but not a trail
angel.

It's like the question of hitchhiking - if I ask a motel owner or outdoor
shop if they can give me a ride to the trail - I expect to pay for it.  If
I'm standing by the side of the road, hitching, and someone stops - I don't
expect to pay for the ride.  (Though I have when we were going farther than
the individual would likely be driving.)

In books I've run across the Jewish concept of Mitzvoh - when charity is
given, the blessing blesses the giver more than the givee.  If the giver
expects a reward for their generosity, they lose that blessing.

My .02

Ginny