[pct-l] Trail Angels vs hosts

Roger Carpenter rogercarpenter at comcast.net
Tue Dec 26 12:44:25 CST 2006

Pea Hicks wrote:
> well anyway, don't get me wrong- i'm very thankful for WHATEVER
> kindnesses are offered to me on the trail, in whatever guise or
> paradigm, trail angel or business. i just personally would find it odd
> to see trail angels operating on a business model, even if they were
> only charging the same amount that i would have donated anyway.

It's been a long time since I posted, but I find the Dinsmore's situation
interesting.  Andrea, I stayed at your place for a night in 2005 while on a
Snoqualmie to Stehekin section hike.  I remember putting about $20 in your
donation box.  I also knew that some hikers might be running out of money by
the time they reach Stevens Pass and may not pay as much or even anything.
I was very grateful for you and Jerry opening your home to us PCT hikers.
Thank you!  Everyone who hosts hikers have the same problem unless they have
at least $8,000 to spend per season hosting hikers.

Andrea and Jerry are not just trail angels, but are hosting hikers for
overnight stays AND feeding them.  I consider a trail angel to be someone
who gives rides, puts up a water cache, or is just there when you need them.
The cost to do that is minimal and involves more time than anything else.
Being a hiker host involves a much greater committment in terms of costs to
house and feed hikers.   If a host takes in 200 hikers per year, and the
average stay is 2 nights, that adds up to 400 hiker-nights and perhaps 1200
meals!  Add to that vehicle costs to Stevens Pas, telephone, utilities, etc.
In my accountant's way of thinking, an average cost of $20 per night is
pretty conservative and implies an annual cost of $8,000.  Andrea, is that
number in the ballpark?  With all due respects to Pea Hick's comment about
trail angels operating like a business, I don't think finding ways to ensure
$8,000 is recovered to be a "business model".  Anyone on a retirement income
would probably find it hard to absorb that level of expense.  It's up to the
host's discretion if they can or want to absorb these costs.  It's up to the
hikers to decide if they want to stay there.

Additionally, to keep their place open to hikers the Dinsmores must keep
everything on a "donation" basis because setting a fixed rate has unintended
consequences which includes requirements to operate as a lodging business
(licenses, regulations, taxes, etc.).  I don't think that's an option for
them and the lodging rate would be much higher.  It would not be
unreasonable for the Dinsmores to put out a donation box with a suggested
nightly amout of $20 (or whatever Andrea wants to suggest) and make an even
stronger suggestion that if you cannot pay that much that you should make up
for it by doing chores.

One thing I learned on my thru hike ten years ago is that when I received
something from the trail, either as a favor from someone, or something on
more of a spiritual level, the trail presented opportunities to give back,
maybe to a different person or at a different time. Contributing to the
Dinsmores is a great example.  Bob Riess just wrote that he won't accept
anything for hosting hikers in San Diego.  That's great!  I would hope that,
in the overall picture of our PCT experiences, we remember this and give
back in other ways.

In the Winter 2006 ALDHA-West Gazette it was noted that the Dinsmore's were
planning to spend $20,000 for a storage area next to the house.  Then they
had a kitchen fire, which will also cost money to fix.  The Dinsmore's are
planning a work party for 2007 to build the structure and asked for
donations of time and materials.  If you can help contact Andrea.  Email:
zaqueltooocool at gmail.com

Roger Carpenter