[pct-l] hitch hiking

Pea Hicks phix at optigan.com
Tue Dec 26 14:10:32 CST 2006

all this talk about trail angels, etc, has reminded me of something that
i regret not having put much effort into on my hike this year, so i'd
like to suggest this to any future hikers lurking out there.

when you stick out your thumb for a ride, plan in advance to have an
easy system for getting the driver's address so you can send them a
postcard somewhere down the line. folks who pick up hikers are
definitely some of the most important unsung heroes of the trail, and i
think it's all too easy to forget to thank them properly. sending them
postcards also serves to raise awareness of the trail and hiker culture
in general, and leaves a good impression. and on a more practical note,
let's not forget all the trekking poles and other gear accidentally left
in the back of trucks along the way! i saw this happen a lot on the
trail this year. having contact info ensures that you have a chance to
get your stuff back.

this year i only managed to get a handful of drivers' addresses, and i
now regret not having devised a consistent system for myself to make
sure i got every driver's address that was willing to give it out.
probably the simplest thing would be just to make sure you have a
notebook and pen handy whenever you stick out your thumb. make it part
of your hitch-hiking routine.

gs