[pct-l] Tape with a Thousand Uses

Robert E. Riess robert.riess at cox.net
Tue Dec 26 14:23:27 CST 2006

I have been getting Velcro from Upholstery Fabric Outlet (UFO) for years.  It comes in various colors, 1 inch and 2 inch wide, adhesive backed or sew-on fabric backed.  It has been getting a little expensive recently: $2.99/yd for both hook and loop in the 1 inch width.  They also have a wide variety of nylon webbing.  At least 6 colors and 4 widths.  You can also get 6000 ft of nylon thread for 3 bucks.  They have Spectra and a host of nylon fabrics, but not silnylon.

On a similar thread, plain old duct tape (IMHO) is soon to be replaced in the hiking community by Gorilla Tape.  Same size and weight, but much stronger both in the adhesion and resistance to tearing catagoies.  Available at Home Depot, and not cheap.  $9 a roll vice $4 a roll for classic grey duct tape.   It's pretty strong.  I used it to patch a 12 inch split in my plastic trash dumpster, the kind picked up by the mechanical pincher mounted on the truck.   After thirteen pickups, my patch is still intact.   Hike on !  Bob Riess at the trailhead.