[pct-l] 2007 Campaign Preparations

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Wed Dec 27 11:05:47 CST 2006

People talk about the  winter blues and no hiking (if you are not into winter
hiking and camping), but  I say there is LOTS to do in the winter to prepare
for the new year.  It is  a busy time for us hikers.  Lots of research,
product evaluations,  cleaning, waterproofing, practice walks to test gear set ups,
etc.  When  you hit the trail for your first hike in the Spring, you are ready
and  excited.

For example, go to _www.REI.com_ (http://www.REI.com)  and put water proof
spray in their  product search engine.  Treat your foot gear, tarps, tent flys,
packs, waist packs, jackets, pants,  hats, etc.  Just do this once a year in
the winter as you prepare your  gear for the upcoming hiking season.   Simple.

Each winter you  should be laying your gear out and evaluating it for the new
season.  "What  gear set up do I want for this year?"  How can I be lighter
this year, but  be just as safe and comfortable?"  "I wonder if I can finally
go Ultra  Light this year?"  "What are SixMoons and GossamerGear up to?"   "I
wonder if mean old REI has some neat stuff?"  "What is that Switchback
character ranting about now?"

Yes, the winter  preparations seem like they will never end.  And then all at
once  April is here and you are headed to the Kickoff at Lake Morena with
your super  neat gear set up.  Wow, Cap, wow.

Marketing ploy: There is a big announcement for my 2007 April Kickoff gear
and technique seminar coming up.  I know the anticipation is building out
there, but hang on a little while longer.  This will cause quite a  stir in the
hiking community and set a NEW standard in trail gear.   Everyone will want to
do it.

Cheers, Switchback
Winter Cabin  Fever Elf