[pct-l] "Tipping" vs Reimbursement

Phil Baily pbaily at webuniverse.net
Wed Dec 27 15:23:32 CST 2006

A lot of interesting thoughts lately. However, I think there is some
confusion with nomenclature. I use the words in the following way.
Tipping is a (usually) monetary reward paid to someone for good
(outstanding) service above and beyond the expected or as
compensation for an inappropriately small wage. Reimbursement is
payment to cover expenditures, e.g. gasoline, food, laundry
detergent, linens, silverware, etc. I think many people would be more
comfortable with reimbursement when appropriate, both giving and
receiving, than they would be with tipping.

Pieces