[pct-l] A few quick questions- Scott's comment

stillroaming pct at delnorteresort.com
Thu Dec 28 13:31:13 CST 2006

Oh, I'm quite serious. Further, while this behavior might seem absurd to
you, *MANY* hikers employ this strategy successfully. What exactly do you
think the ultra-light crowd does religiously? FedEx? And they certainly
aren't the first and only.

Never would I recommend that someone sleep with their food. That is not what
I'm suggesting. I'm pointing out to you this is a widely practiced technique
used by many, for many decades, even in Yosemite (Lyell Canyon), where I had
the experience of putting myself between a bear and my food bag.

As a hiker, you have to do what works for you and be responsible for that
decision.

(I told you B. , someone will always get their panties in a wad :)

Scott

I can't believe you are serious!  I've read reports on trailjournals about
bears ripping into tents on the JMT looking for foodbags that they could
smell.
  I also know it happens in Yosemite, because I work here and have seen it
first hand.

  I also understand that there are places along the PCT where you may be
able to get away with sleeping with your food...but not in the Sierra!

  Let's be careful with the flippant cracks - not everyone here knows about
you.
  Katy

stillroaming <pct at delnorteresort.com> wrote:
    No, that is an example of not defending your food properly. Had your
food
bag been under your feet or head, I seriously doubt that would have
happened.
<<<<