[pct-l] Nother Question ...

dsaufley at sprynet.com dsaufley at sprynet.com
Fri Dec 29 12:28:16 CST 2006

I would (and did) choose trekking poles over crampons.  Trekking poles are useful in so many situations, i.e, fording deep and rapid currents, and keeping me the klutz in an upright position in precarious exposures.  In the latter example I think the poles not only saved my front teeth, but my very life.  There's a lot of steep, exposed, and rocky terrain where crampons won't do you a bit of good.  I took the baskets off my poles and shortened them appropriately for snow crossings, and they worked like a charm.

Prodeal made an excellent point -- the timing of snow crossings is really the key.  Too early, and it's icy.  Too late, and you're dealing with slogging through mush and postholing.  If you wait until evening, you're back to the ice.  I found that there was an optimal time of day to cross the snow when it was much easier and safer, usually between 9-10 a.m. to 2 p.m., and it worked fine for my slowpoke one-gnarly-pass-a-day pace.  Later than 2 p.m. and you risked being on the pass in the thunderstoms. Bottom line, crampons are for ice; avoid the ice and you won't need them.

Just my .02!

L-Rod