[pct-l] Trail Question

Ken Powers kdpo at pacbell.net
Fri Dec 29 16:29:24 CST 2006

You won't be alone on the JMT in late August/early September. We hiked the
JMT in 1998 & 1999 starting on Labor Day weekend. There were still plenty of
people on the trail. The JMT is 212 miles (plus another 11 to get off Mt
Whitney). So divide the mileage by your daily miles. You should be able to
hike about the same pace as you did in Desolation Wilderness. The passes are
higher, but the trail is pretty similar. You should be able to hike it in
14-17 days.

We got our permits at Yosemite Valley on the day before we started the
hikes. They reserve a number for "walk-ins." You can also get the permits in
advance thru the mail. I suggest you call Yosemite Valley Wilderness Center
( http://www.nps.gov/archive/yose/wilderness/permits.htm ) to get the latest
information about permits, canister requirements, and camping restrictions.

Ken