[pct-l] yo-yoing cars

AsABat AsABat at 4Jeffrey.Net
Fri Dec 29 21:51:44 CST 2006

I have done my own car shuttles on solo PCT hikes on several occasions
such as Big Bear, Mojave, and the Southern Sierra. I tow an old VW bug
behind my truck. I did these sections mostly as a series of day hikes.

The shuttles in some cases were quite long and cut into my hiking time,
but not excessively. I made sure absolutely nothing was in either
vehicle so no critters would be tempted. I never had vandalism problems,
but might have just been lucky.

The VW is a 1978 convertible with distinctive air brushed striping, so
it did attract a bit of attention, especially driving around Kennedy
Meadows, where it sat 3 days while I hiked to Horseshoe Meadow.

If you go this route, make sure the tow bar is one of the telescoping
self-aligning models so you can hook it up without help. I first started
with a cheap a-frame tow bar, and trying to push the car around on a
dirt slope was very difficult while trying to line up the hitch with the
tow balll.

AsABat