[pct-l] Bear canister and mouse canister

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Sat Dec 30 05:38:49 CST 2006

Good morning, Sugar Daddy,

Years ago I talked to a hiker who had what he claimed to be a solution to
the old mouse problem.  He sewed a separate liner for his food sack out of
metal screen mesh, the kind that is available at hardware stores as
replacement in standard household window screens.  He claimed the fuzzy
little buggers could not, or would not, chew through the metal screen.  Some
of the available screen is aluminum and some is plastic.  In the old days it
used to be steel wire mesh, and maybe that is what he used.  I do not expect
the plastic screen would work well, and I doubt if any of it would resist
something larger than a mouse or vole, particularly anything as large as a
marmot.

I have not tried this, and I do not know if the aluminum screen would work,
but it is cheap and lite, and maybe worth a try.  I had in mind to try it
prior to an AT trip.  Does anyone have some caged mice that can be used for
testing like SIBBG uses caged black bears?

And yes, you could sit on it ... only the results would probably not be
satisfactory.

Steel-Eye