[pct-l] Hang a Cannister?

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Sat Dec 30 14:05:38 CST 2006

Why hang it? There is a reason bear cans are big, round, and smooth with flat ends - so Yoggi can't get hold of them to chew through them or drag off. It's wasted effort on your part.

Put the can in a small depression or somewhere where he can't bat it around very far. I use reflective tape around and on both ends of mine so I can find it at night with a light if needed. Most Sierra bears already know they can't get into those black cans and don't even try anymore. They are still on a learning curve with the transparent BearVaults because they can see the food.

Never leave a bear can in a sling or stuff sack. This gives Yoggi something he can grab in his jaws and drag away. He may never be able to get it open later, and you've still lost your food.