[pct-l] San Jacinto

Bighummel at aol.com Bighummel at aol.com
Tue Jul 4 14:31:00 CDT 2006

I took a hike from Black Mtn Campground to the top of San Jacinto yesterday.
A great early summer training hike.  You wouldn't believe that it was only 65
up there and overcast and cool with flowers and water flowing in most
streams.  Absolutely beautiful!  I tried to find my bivoauc where I camped in '77
upon reaching Fuller Ridge near the end of the day and foolishly attempting to
reach Black Mtn campground before dark.  3 of us bivouaced on a small ledge with
high winds and snow and ice all around for a cold, harsh night with only our
rain flys wrapped around us.  The great trail gorillas have moved the trail in
several places off of the top of the ridge to make easier and perhaps safer
going, however, making for a much longer trail.  I will post picts to my aol
picture folders soon.

Man am I sore.  I haven't hiked 17 miles and climbed 4,500' in a single day
in a couple of years, sad to say.

Greg "Strider" Hummel