[pct-l] Etna Summit question

Lonetrail at aol.com Lonetrail at aol.com
Wed Jul 5 02:31:20 CDT 2006

I didn't find road that bad, parking area should be large enough. It is
quite isolated and as always I worried about my car.  There is another  parking
area that is first class but you will have about a 3000 ft scenic climb  which
is not the PC but joins PC on ridge.  When I was there I  was told by a rangers
bears could be a problem.

lonetrail

I'm thinking about using Etna Summit as a trailhead for two out and back
hikes this August.  I haven't been able to get any info about the road
from Etna to the summit.  My rig is a long dually van pulling a trailer
for the llamas.  The total length of the rig is 36 feet.  We have  had
some real problems getting this rig to certain trailheads.  We  won't
ever do Horseshoe Meadow or Onion Valley again.  We even have  trouble
with the roads from Lucerne Valley to Baldwin Lake and from Hesperia  to
Crestline.
The drive down the hill is just as bad as the trip up.
Can anyone tell me about the Etna Summit road--such as the percent of
grade, warning signs, hairpin turns, other concerns?  If driving up
there is a lousy idea for me, can you suggest another trailhead that
would get me close to Trinity Alps or Marble Mt.  Wilderness?
Marion
unsubscribe or change  options: