[pct-l] road to Etba summit

JoAnn M. jomike at cot.net
Wed Jul 5 12:36:23 CDT 2006

I helped a couple with transportation to/from Etna summit just two days ago. The summit is plenty large to meet your parking needs. The road up is totally paved. It is wide enough for vehicles to pass for those of us use to these, at times, narrow roads. My only concern for you would be where work is going on to eventually  repair under cuts. It is a narrow passage of maybe a few hundred feet but I will not venture to say one way or the other whether your vehicles and yourself would be comfortable through this one isolated spot. Yet will say, there was a large county vehicle rather like a water tank, and even a horse trailer go past as I drove the road.

Have you considered going in at Carter Meadows? It is set up most specifically for stock with corrals, etc. You would access the pct right at that spot within a few hundred yards. It is 79 miles north of Castle Crags in section P. It is all but exactly 20 miles south of Etna summit.

Good luck.

JoAnn