[pct-l] Mt. Whitney & Mars Expedition

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Sat Jul 8 21:21:39 CDT 2006

The WagonMaster wrote: In '77, north of Tahoe, mid June, middle of the day, perfect deep blue sky, Mars visible in deepest blue part of the sky.  I have never seen a planet during the day ever since.  Strider
Cool memory.  That is why I like netting shelters out on the trail.  At night I see shooting stars and lots of neat universe stuff.  Those are some of my best memories on the trail.  Being in a nylon prison on the trail is not my idea of fun camping.

Being part of the environment when you are in your shelter is best in a netting bug-free shelter, I think.  I see campers all around me in their security blanket shelter trying to protect themselves from the evils of the outdoors.  Instead of trying to blend into Mother Nature and to be part of the trail, they still cling to a barrier between themselves their environment.  Strange to me.

I can see sun protection, so you can have shade during the hot day.  I can see privacy too.  I can see weather protection too.  But all these can be done without the nylon prison syndrome.

Switchback, the Jolly Roger of the Trail