[pct-l] Colorado Trail -- late start questions

henry shires hshires at jps.net
Sun Jul 9 02:53:12 CDT 2006

on 7/8/06 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net at
pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Message: 8
> Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 22:02:31 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Dust <dustpct at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [pct-l] Colorado Trail -- late start questions
> To: pct-l at mailman.backcountry.net
>

> Wise ones:
>
> I'm planning an early fall CT hike this year that would have
> me on the trail when the aspens are turning. I've been to
> Colorado before and generally, the aspens don't hit peak
> until the third week of September.  So I want to start as
> late as I can without putting myself at serious risk of
> getting trapped if there's an early snowfall up high.
>
> Couple questions:
>
> 1.  How late do you think I reasonably can start, to catch
> the turning aspens on the CT?  I've hiked (postholed) in
> snow before and don't mind it for a short while.  If an
> early September snowstorm hits, can you get down to lower
> elevations safely if you don't mind trudging through
> some cool sno?

I say start no later than Sept 1st if you're going North --> South. Even
that might be pushing it unless you're doing big miles.  Early snowstorms,
especially in the San Juans, are a given most years.  If you're going the
other way, you could perhaps get away with starting a week later.  Best
color will be found going North-->South since you'll be following the color
turn rather than hiking through and out of it.  The really high elevations
are at the southern end and when you're up, you're up without a lot of
places to hide. The northern half is a lot less remote, generally lower, and
it's easier to bail out if you need to get down.

> 2.  I've been following the SNOTEL site and it looks like a
> pretty severe drought has taken hold of Colorado this year.
> How hard do you think it will be to find water?  I have the
> Data Book and am wondering if the "cup FULL" sources will be
> reliable this year.

Full cups will have water. Half cups will probably have water. I wouldn't
count on empty cups this year (though the prior 2 years they often had water
in September).

> 3.  I'm looking to bring some "Rocky Mountain High" with me
> and am wondering what type John Denver smoked and where he
> got high.

Just hyperventilate. You'll feel a pretty good buzz soon enough...