[pct-l] Oregon Car vandalized near PCT for political reasons..

Wayne Kraft wayneskraft at comcast.net
Mon Jul 10 22:04:34 CDT 2006

Ordinarily, I would never dream of expressing my political opinions
on my vehicle.  My political opinions are so unacceptable in so many
circles, I fear those who disagree with me would consider my bumper
stickers to justify not merely vehicular vandalism, but homicide
predicated by unspeakable, interminable torture.  In this first
amendment deep freeze, I have restricted myself to a Pacific Crest
Trail sticker on the back of my 1989 Ford Ranger pickup and no
statements of opinion at all on my more expensive rides.

There is one sticker, though, that I've always coveted.  It may have
been more the context in which it was revealed, than the actual
message itself, but I have always considered this sticker to express
the ultimate rebellion against, well, everything that's wrong.  The
context was this:  in about 1977 some friends and I decided to raft
Oregon's Rogue River.  Never mind that this is considered a trip for
experts.  Never mind that most of us had never been in a river raft
before.  Never mind that we had allotted two days for a trip the
professional guides take three to complete.  Never mind.  We just
shoved off and entered the maelstrom.  Two days later, sunburned,
blistered and exhausted we hauled out at Takilma, an obscure landing
accessible only by river or miles of gravel logging road and there,
parked at the side of the river was an ancient, rusted and decrepit
Ford pickup with a bumper sticker that read:

STOP CONTINENTAL DRIFT

Now, there's a cause to which I can commit myself.  Bringing
democracy to Islam?  Piece o' cake.  Stop global warming?  And then
what to we do in the afternoon?  But stopping the insidious, barely
detectable but tragically destructive movement of the continental
land masses?  Now there, amigos, is a challenge worthy of any true
knight, any Don Quixote.

I consider this to be the very last word in bumper self-expression.

Wayne