[pct-l] Quincy-LaPorte Rd.

Lonetrail at aol.com Lonetrail at aol.com
Tue Jul 11 17:06:33 CDT 2006

Watch out for logging trucks, The trucker were using CB's to warn each  other
about traffic on road. They go like hell
I had a food cache there several years ago trail is not difficult to find.
Hello Linda and Neibor J;

La Porte Rd is on the edge of my day  hiking areas. I totally agree with
Neighbor J that its about 1/2 hour from  Quincy. I think it was about 18 miles
from the PCT to Quincy on La Porte Rd. (I  would like to add that its a fairly
windy rd, but nothing compared to the road  to get to VVR).

The PCT crosses at the crest of the La Porte Rd. So when  you get to the top,
your there. There is a parking lot of sorts on the south  side of the rd. A
road that I don't remember the name of T's off La Parte Rd. at  that point and
the trail is the road for about 1/4 mile....... I don't remember  if the PCT
is well marked there, maybe Neighbor J can recollect, but you know  your there
when you are on the highest point on the rd.

I know there was  cell phone coverage in the area.  I have personally made
some calls with a  old AT&T wireless phone (now cingular).

But your close to Quincy, so  I would imagine that you would get a signal
from probably a couple of difference  carriers), although depending on your
carrier you might have to walk around like  that guy on the Verizon commercial and
say "can you hear me now?". sorry could  resist a little humor.

-Mountain Goat-
PCT 2005
CDT  2008-2009
Great wall of China 2015

Brian and Linda Morris   morris at alumni.calpoly.edu
Mon Jul 10 11:00:21 CDT 2006
---------------------------------

Hello,

First  of all, I would like to sincerely thank everyone for all of the
wonderful  information that has been posted on this list in the last few
years.   It has been very much appreciated.

Is anyone out  there familiar with Quincy-LaPorte Rd.?  I'm thinking of
having my son  pick me up there and was wondering if it would be a
difficult place to  meet.  Is the trail clearly marked as it crosses the
road?  How  far is Quincy from where the PCT crosses Quincy-LaPorte Rd.?
Is there  any camping available near the crossing?  Do cell phones get
reception  in that area?

Thanks so much,
Linda

unsubscribe or change  options: