[pct-l] Repellant

Jon Danniken danniken at comcast.net
Mon Jul 17 01:42:37 CDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Trainman-1"
> I hear tell there is a product that you can use to wash your clothes in
that
> will repel "MO-skeeters" and other bug types. Can anyone tell me the
product
> name and where I can purchase some?

REI sells a permethrin spray for clothes, "Sawyer" brand, 0.5 percent
concentration, 15 oz, for $10.00.

After doing a little research, I went to the local feed and seed instead and
bought an 8oz bottle of 10 percent concentrate for $5.00 - other than
cheaper and stronger, it is the exact same chemical as used in the REI
product. .  I thin it out to 2 percent and apply it until the clothes are
good and damp, then let them dry.

Coupled with some DEET on exposed skin, it's very effective, and lasts
through many wash cycles.  It does, however, break down from sweat, so if
you get really sweaty you may find you need to retreat more often.

Jon