[pct-l] PocketMail

gwtmp01 at mac.com gwtmp01 at mac.com
Thu Jul 20 14:22:31 CDT 2006

On Jul 17, 2006, at 3:05 PM, Dan Fenn wrote:
> That being said, I would appreciate feedback from folks that have used
> PocketMail - pros and cons.

big pro: don't need to find the library in town to deal with email
pro: much cheaper to send email then to call everyone by phone
pro: you don't need cell tower coverage like treo/blackberry
pro: keeps you in contact with friends, family, etc.
pro: more convenient than PDA/model attachment
pro: good battery life (don't use the backlight at night, headlamp
works fine)
pro: easier to type in the tent than to write (your milage may vary)
pro: easier then sending postcards from town

con: you have to find a phone to use it (works with some cell phones
I think)
con: extra weight
con: adds 'technology' to your outdoor/wilderness experience
con: email isn't as nice as a postcard

> I also found sitting down to write with pen and paper at the end of a
> long day was sometimes pretty tough to do.

Keeping a daily journal takes effort via pencil and paper or via
pocketmail.

Gary Wright (Radar)