[pct-l] OC Weekly Columnist calls us dirty hippies!

Jenny Holliday jenny at seawaterfoundation.org
Fri Jul 21 17:23:18 CDT 2006

I'm still shaking my head over this one...

Commie Girl, a columnist for OC Weekly who usually covers nightlife,
politics and drinking went on vacation last week and met some thru-hikers.
Here's her take on us:

”We also met hippies, as Edison Lake is an outpost on the Pacific Crest
Trail, so they were hippies hiking from Mexico to Canada, and if you called
them “dirty,” you would be utterly justified. I didn’t mind the dirt (or the
smell), but the fact that they had “trail names” just killed me. “I’m
Solar,” they would say, because when you’re building your own society at the
top of a mountain, you’re not bound by the strictures of the society in the
outside world! Nice to meet you. I’m Pretentious Twit."

Read the full column at:
http://www.ocweekly.com/columns/commie-girl/commie-girl/25537/

Jenny