[pct-l] OC Weekly Columnist calls us dirty hippies!

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Fri Jul 21 19:18:07 CDT 2006

I liked it; she came home to blood and potato chip crumbs in her bed, her
potted plants askew, and without telling the reader the full story. This
e-trail tale reminded me of a blind man describing an elephant by feeling it
only within his reach.... only by hiking the trail, experiencing it for
weeks with the people in their natural habitat is the thru-hiker truly
understood.. No big deal, and her world is reading about Solar, thru-hikers,
and the PCT....that "can" be a good thing....And as Cartman says, "I hate
filthy hippies!"..., thus,  this 40 year old stereotype lives on, except now
it's placed on a group of trail people that have earned grand respect from
us all.. by someone who is rather clueless, and yet a rather entertaining
writer.. I'd rather be hiking, getting filthy, and labeled a hippie,
tho......than not be on the trail at all.. Hikon