[pct-l] Info on Muir Trail Ranch for Tinman

cmkudija at earthlink.net cmkudija at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 24 18:36:32 CDT 2006

I can vouch for Muir Trail Ranch's hospitality and resupply convenience -
resupplied from there last September.  However, you need to know that their
store is EXTREMELY limited to tourist & souvenir-type items, you can't buy a
meal (unless they've changed their policies or they have room for a walk-in
guest for a cabin).  I stayed there two nights, in between groups, and loved
it.  The resupply area is a bear-proof stone hut, and by August 14 should
also have a good supply of free leftovers to paw through - which is
welcomed.  Last year, the leftovers included giant squeeze bottles of
mayonnaise, oil, jelly.  There were other huge amounts of things that an
experienced hiker just wouldn't take - fortunately, most leftovers can be
taken to a food bank in Fresno at the end of the season.

Their website http://www.muirtrailranch.com/resupply.html is comprehensive
with respect to resupply policy.  Take 'em seriously on the
mail-ahead-of-time policy - they really run through logistical hoops to make
the resupply work.  And fwiw, I think $45.00/per drop is eminently
reasonable for a good, close-to-trail resupply option.    Also, if you can
afford it and if they have room, pay for an overnight's stay.  Their food is
great, hot pool restoring, dining room conversation fun, and you might get
to meet the nonagenarian who owns the place.

Last year, they also had a vintage wringer-washing machine  (named Mabel)
available to hikers.  Worked fine for me!

Christine "Ceanothus" Kudija
PCT partially '94

www.pcta.org
Join Now!

Ceanothus (see-ah-no-thus) or California lilac:  Shrubs or small trees,
often with divaricate, sometimes spiny, twigs...[flowers] small but showy,
white to blue or purplish, sometimes lavender or pinkish, borne in terminal
or lateral panicles or umbellike cymes.
                                                               Philip A.
Munz
                                                               A California