[pct-l] fires

hanlon jomike at cot.net
Mon Jul 31 14:04:52 CDT 2006

As of yesterday there were 30 +/- fires within just the Shasta-Trinity NF.

The wonderful northern CA town of Weaverville (off of Hwy.299 and the beginning of Hwy. 3) is being hit: at least one home and a restaurant were burnt to the ground.

The smoke in this region is terrible, limiting views, etc. To the best of my knowledge, nothing is threatening the pct. The Trinity fires will certainly not help the air situation from Castle Crags and into OR, where, as you know, it ain't to good either   :(

In these types of communities, we all but worship fire fighters. They risk their lives, work harder than any of us can imagine under horrific conditions all to protect humans and help save of homes and forests. (This is not a to "let burn vs. suppression" conversation or intended to get that topic going...please let's not go there where lives and homes are being threatened at present.)

JoAnn
Are We There Yet?

P.S. My husband is at this time driving Rolling Thunder, Sunny and Tadpole back to the trail.