[pct-l] Help with PCT Changes in Washington

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Thu Nov 2 18:43:35 CST 2006

B. Who has used Stampede Pass weather station for water recently? How  did
it go? Friendly? (Section I, page Map i13).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I stopped at the weather station in late August 2006, finding it quite
deserted and boarded up, but the water is still on and available. In it's
day, this station must have been a great place to work and live. There is
quite a bit of landscaping and rock work around the houses and buildings.
The original obsolete old weather instrument station is still there, and the
new automated station appears to be operating.  There is an unusuable faucet
on the front western door, and the usuable one is around the back side to
the left of the same house. I marked the front one with pencil, "water in
back of house".. Here's some photos of the place for anyone curious....Eric
Ryback even writes about his visit to the station on his 1970 PCT hike in
his book "The High Adventure of ER".
http://www.pbase.com/losthiker/washington_pct&page=4