[pct-l] ''Believer'' - Water Purification

Eckert jape at nethere.com
Sun Nov 5 11:02:46 CST 2006

Self innoculation is a new one to me.  I can't find a supporting
reference to this effect.  In order for a hiker to create and pass the
infecting cysts, he'd already have to have the critters thriving inside him.

Many websites (always gospel, I know) say the incubation is 1-2 weeks,
although some say 1 to 3 weeks.  If Al was on the trail for just a
couple of days, the occurance of his symptoms would be at the outer edge
of the incubation pattern.  I would be more inclined to think he'd had
the misfortune to eat some unwashed fruit or bulk packaged trail mix
after he got off the trail, or recieved a less than hygenic
congratulatory handshake somewhere along the line.

It sure would be interesting to learn what water sources he used while
on the trail.  Thank goodness for Tinizadole.