[pct-l] What will the river crossings be like N. of Steven's Pass?

Andrea Dinsmore buggy_boo69 at hughes.net
Fri Nov 10 12:45:11 CST 2006

Watching the Tye/Skykomish River rush past my home in Skykomish, WA. I am concerned about the river crossings on the PCT between Steven's Pass and Manning Park. 60' trees with their roots still attached flowed past at 50mph, The water was 15' higher in the river that normal. This is at least twice as bad as the flood in the hills in 2004. Will the original trail be passable? How about the reroute? A unbelievable amount of enormous trees and huge school bus size stumps were taken away and wiped out the shore on each side as they went by. The river in front of our place has been widened by a good 15-20'. I am really concerned about what the 2007 hikers will find when they come through next year. The snow is starting to fall heavy on the pass (4,000') and the damage won't be apparent until April or May. I will try and keep up on the damage reports next spring for the hikers.

Take care,

Chicken 1
Andrea Dinsmore