[pct-l] (no subject)

Bob and Diana Nelson benelson at ktc.com
Sat Nov 11 13:53:43 CST 2006

Greetings to all.

I have been fascinated with the PCT since the 80s. We lived in San Diego
during the late 80s and early 90s and I did some PCT day hikes during that
period, along with some on the other trails in the area. I have enjoyed
monitoring this forum for several years and have learned quite a lot from
the experience of others. I’ve had a life long interest in hiking that
always took a backseat to other things, like earning a living. Now that I’m
retired I’m freer and it finally dawned on me that at age 63 if I wanted to
do a long hike on the PCT it was time to get at it so I plan to start north
in 2007. I look forward to meeting everyone on the trail. From the postings
it seems that there will be a wide verity of interests and backgrounds.

Bob, as yet unnamed, Nelson

1. What is your start date? Any special reason for choosing this date?
Mid April. Until I find out what mileage I can reasonably make I want a time
pad in front of me. I can always find ways of killing a few days if
necessary but so far no one has found a way adding extra days behind
themselves. Also, I expect that most hikers will average higher mileage than
I will and this way I’ll be able to meet most of them.

2. What gear are you using? How did you choose it: weight, experience,
brand loyalty, etc.
I’m not sure of the exact gear yet. The most important thing is that it must
do its job dependably. The next consideration is weight. Cost is also an
important factor.

3. What do you think your base pack weight will be?
Not sure, hopefully less than 20 lbs.

4. What 'luxury' items are you bringing? Everyone needs at least one.
Digital camera and 2-meter ham radio.

5. What do you think that 'first night' of your hike will be like?
Brief followed by a painful awakening

6. What do you think the first day will be like?
Tiring and full of “why am I here” thoughts.

7. What is the one thing you're most looking forward to on the trail?
Challenge

8. What is something you're dreading/fear?
Doing something stupid.

9. If you could change in one way on this trip, what would it be?
Loose weight.

10. Do you want this to be more of an 'isolated' or 'social' experience?
Both

11. Which section of the trail are you most looking forward to?
The section between Campo and Manning Park.

12. Which section would you'd rather skip?
Why skip anything?

13. What are you planning your finish date to be?
The exact second my foot enters Canada.

14. Are you using mail drops/town resupplies/combo?
Combo

15. How many hotel stops along the way are you planning?
The need for rest, showers and clean clothing will dictate.

16. How are you getting to the start line? Home from the finish line?
 I’ll fly into San Diego and get a ride with a friend to Campo. Getting home
will be by air.

17. What are your plans once you finish the PCT? Heading home?
Either checking out of the hospital and thanking the staff for their
kindness, or. Clean up, head home, finish my journal, organize my pictures
and start research on my next hike. Which ever applies?

18. After the PCT, what trails do you want to hike next?
CDT

19. Do you have a trail name? How did you get it? If not, are you
going to decide on one before the trail, or wait until you're there?
Hopefully someone will be kind enough to give me a suitable name!

20. Do you have a workout/training routine to get ready?
Yes, I’m fortunate enough to have two trails available starting at my front
door. The short one is an easy 1-mile loop with 180 feet of climbing. The
longer one is a challenging 1.2-mile loop with 300 feet of climbing. I’m
working with a nutritionist and have worked up to 20 miles a day with a
35-pound pack. Without her help the best I could do was 10 miles a day.

     I have to say that hiking on these loops is one of the most boring
things I’ve had to do in a long time. The short path is just boring, period.
The longer path is beautiful but if I look around to enjoy it I’m on my butt
in seconds.

     Right now I’ve done something to my hip and I’m virtually crippled. I’
ve gone from 20-mile days to painful 20-foot hobbles with a cane. Hopefully
it will clear up and I’ll be able to get out on the PCT in the spring.

21. And finally, what 'non-existing' hike would you like to invent?
The Cape Horn to Point Hope Crest Trail. Perhaps with an optional loop out
to Dutch Harbor.