[pct-l] Fw: A True Hero

dsaufley at sprynet.com dsaufley at sprynet.com
Sun Nov 12 13:35:57 CST 2006

Reinhold,

Thank you so much.  This Veterans' Day had entirely different meaning to me and to our family in light of the recent events we've experienced with our son, Tom.  I can't say enough about the kindness and caring that you and so many of the PCT-L members shared with me.  It means so much to us.

Tom is currently at Walter Reed Hospital in D.C., being treated for combat stress.  He arrived there Friday night.  Being sent there is not something you volunteer for or ask for; they send you when they see signs indicating there is something wrong, and your CO determines it's impacting your ability to perform your job, much as they would with any physically visible wound.  We are deeply concerned about him, yet extremely grateful he is not in Iraq any more.  We are especially appreciative that the Army both recognizes and provides treatment for wounds of this nature.  Walter Reed is an world-renown hospital, and we couldn't ask for better or more knowledgeable care.

I wrote recently about the explosion and subsequent skirmish, air strike, and the rescue of Tom's sergeant.   What I didn't know at the time I learned of this was that this wasn't the first IED explosion to hit Tom's unit -- it was the fourth, and that their unit was hit three days in a row by bomb blasts.  Since he arrived in Baghdad around September 1, he had been on over 50 missions.  The missions average 10-12 hours a day, and they go out six days a week, at all hours around the clock. The exhaustion, tension, and fear drove one member of Tom's unit to kill himself -- he shot himself in the head while on patrol.  It's hard to imagine the level of stress our troops are experiencing, as I could hardly bear the weight of the knowledge that my one and only child was in a raging war zone.  The news these past few days about the death toll has been absolutely horrific, and I cry every time I hear of the senseless death of our soldiers.

We don't know what will happen next, or what they will do with Tom.  Truthfully, we really don't have any sense yet of how severe the condition is, or what exactly happened over there to bring about this turn of events.   But grey clouds have silver linings; for now he is safe and in caring hands.

Thank you to all of the veterans out there who have suffered the ravages of war.  Thanks also goes out to those who take a stand against war.  Our thoughts and prayers will forever be for those who serve anywhere and everywhere. We also pray for the non-insurgent innocent people of Iraq whose lives, livelihoods, and homeland are being destroyed.  But most of all we pray for peace and an end to the war.

-=Donna Saufley=-