[pct-l] Planning...

Chris Willett CWillett at pierce.ctc.edu
Mon Nov 13 09:13:54 CST 2006

Hi Scott,

Keep your eyes on Washington snow pack, as you may want to delay your start
or take different gear depending on how our winter turns out. We're getting
a bunch of snow in the mountains now, with ski resorts in the Cascades
beginning to open.  You're going to get a lot of advice from people, so I'll
try to be brief.

1) Elevation: Don't worry about it until the Sierra.  Washington and Oregon
and NorCal are not that high.

2) Ice Axe: Sort of.  You're going to be on snow for most of WA and it will
be hard pack. So, you'll need to know how to self belay and self arrest.
You can read up on this extensively before hand, which might be sufficient.
But, you could also easily get in far over your head.

3) Sun:  The light coming off the snow in WA is going to be very intense,
and you'll be in it for multiple hours during the day.  You'll want full
coverage clothes and sun screen for your face and hands, and lip balm.  Air
temps won't be that high, with probably highs in the 50s, maybe up to 60 in
spots, and a few daytime highs in the 40s.

4) Navigation:  You're going to have to get pretty good at it right at the
start, as a lot of the trail may be buried in snow.  When the trail is snow
free, navigation is a snap: Just follow the trail.  You don't have a ton of
blazes, but it is hard to get lost (except when snow is on the ground).

5) Alcohol stove: yup, it will work just fine.

6) Canister: The only place to worry is in the Sierra from Tuolumne south to
Kennedy Meadows.  You'll get a lot of different answers to this, both on the
legal and ethical ends.  I'm not going to fire the first shot, though.

7) Insects: You're going to be mobbed my bugs in WA for a couple of weeks,
then you'll just face some flies.

8) Bag: Yes, a 20 is fine.

9) You won't see any other PCT hikers until the middle of August, probably.
These will be NOBO hikers. You will run in to section hikers and weekenders
as well, but not for a while.  So, be prepared to be alone most of the time.
Of course, you might run into a long distance SOBO hiker, and there are
plenty of people who do long sections on the PCT. You might meet them.  I
crossed Washington from August 5 to August 23.  I saw 1 other thruhiker.
There were two in front of me and there were at least 5 in the state when I
finished.  So, not too many.

Incidentally, from Crater Lake north to Cascade Locks, I saw zero
thruhikers.

Suge