[pct-l] Reasons for Quiting

gwtmp01 at mac.com gwtmp01 at mac.com
Tue Nov 14 14:32:43 CST 2006

On Nov 14, 2006, at 3:04 PM, Monty Tam wrote:
> There's a few reasons people leave the trail, but the big one I've
> seen is
> feet, shoes, and shoe size.

This question of not finishing comes up all the time in the trail
community.  Monty
has mentioned the common physical issues but I think a lot of people
stop their
thru-hike because of relationship issues: they miss their family,
their significant
other, or even their beloved pet(s).  I also think that folks that
stop hiking in
the first couple of weeks are going to have a distinctly different
set of reasons for
stopping than folks that stop after a few months.  The trail
experience itself can
be a rude awakening for folks when their idealized thoughts about the
trail are
in contradiction with the smelly reality of hiking all day long, day
after day, week
after week.

I'd be cautious of characterizing folks who don't complete an end-to-
end hike as
quitters though.  While many people initiate a hike to get from point
A to point B,
I think most hikers would agree that somewhere along the way the
motivation becomes
directed towards the enjoying the journey itself and not necessarily
the destination.
In that sense, leaving the trail isn't really quitting but instead is
about deciding
that your desires are no longer satisfied with the current journey--
time to switch
directions.  I have a hard time using words like 'quit' or 'failure'
for that type of
a change.

Personally, on the AT I never really entertained the notion of
stopping the hike even
when I had bad days.  I didn't have to deal with that issue until I
got a stress
fracture on the PCT near Mt. Hood.  I certainly wanted to continue to
Canada but I
was no longer enjoying my hike and didn't think it was wise to hike
on with the help
of Vicodin.  I was much more upset about leaving my friends and
fellow hikers than
the fact that I wasn't going to make it to Canada.  I'm sure I would
have felt different
about it if I had been on my first long-distance hike, but I knew
from my AT experience
that I could hike for 2000+ miles so I didn't have anything to prove
to myself in that
regard.

Gary Wright (Radar)