[pct-l] shoes

matthew lesniewicz mlesswicz at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 17 17:51:52 CST 2006

in regards to boots or trail shoes, I undestand the concept and benifits of wearing shoes with in mind carrying a lighter pack, lacking the needed ankle support. Ultimately it comes down to what works for the individual. I've always worn boots for my hiking experience, but thinking about finding a shoe, probably use both throughout.My question is, do people actually wear shoes when they hit the snow fields early on and do they use crampons with there shoes? That's another thing, whats the reality of crampons and ice ax? What about substituting ax for trek poles,or is that just ridiculous. It probably varys season to season and at what time you arive. I'm begining my research and don't own any of the books. Are the ones on pcta.org the essentials and the best way to start?