[pct-l] preparation

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.com
Sat Nov 18 16:02:25 CST 2006

L-Rod said:

"You have to find what works for you, through trial and error."

This is what preparation is all about!  Whether it is equipment, clothing,
food, knowledge, skills, physical strength, or emotional preparedness,
you've got to take the time out on the trail to see what works for you in
the conditions you expect.  People are all different.  When I was a
Paramedic, the maxim was, "never say Never and never say Always" when it
comes to the signs and symptoms a person will present for a particular
diagnosis.

As I weed through all the responses about "Reasons for Quitting," I'm
finding that those who made it all the way had the right balance of all the
ingredients required to do so, no major injuries, deep personal motivation,
emotional security, no off-trail reasons for leaving, sufficient finances,
enough food, correct gear, etc..  Those who had to abandon their trip
usually did so because of personal reasons like injury, discontent,
off-trail family matters, finances, lack of realistic preparation (not being
prepared for what to expect), and so on.  The numbers are not all in, but
most of the reasons mentioned, with the exception of off-trail family
matters, can be avoided.  We're continuing the research with further
questions to each respondent to find out how the event came to happen (say
in the case of an injury) and whether it could have been foreseen and
planned for (as in the case of Achilles tendonitis caused by too many miles
too soon and continued too long or the twisted ankle caused by insufficient
ankle support on an already known weak ankle during an accelerated sierra
downhill because they were pushing for more miles to keep up with friends).
The former could have been minimized by slowing down and allowing the body
to strengthen, or as Paul Mitchell said, "Another common one [reason for
quitting] is not being physically fit enough at the start."  The latter one
could have been avoided with better footwear, better knowledge of your own
weaknesses, and being more careful when pushing the daily mileage envelope.
But how are you going to know how you're going to respond to trail
circumstances if you haven't put in the time and miles in preparation
beforehand?  Know yourself and the conditions you'll be encountering before
you waste time and effort trying to accomplish something that you'll find
out later was doomed from the start.

So, get out on the trail and get prepared!

For Information on Programs, previous Trips, and Photo Gallery,

Please visit: www.mountaineducation.com