[pct-l] Shire's Rainbow Tent, thoughts?

Terry Norton terry.norton at msubulldogs.org
Sun Nov 19 20:30:35 CST 2006

On 11/19/06, Deems <losthiker at sisqtel.net> wrote:
> I have a Squall tarptent, and after much research am considering upgrading
> to Henry's new Rainbow tent (with floor) for a little more space and
> security in storms and winds.

I got a Rainbow for the Washington State section of the PCT.  For 2
pounds, it is a great shelter.  (sewn in floor version)

Although I didn't have the center pole problem in Washington, I did
have problems later in a drier climate.  I had to resort to wet the
pole sleeve to get the pole in the eyelet.  Afterwards I modified the
tent to add a second eyelet about 3/4" further away & cut about a 1/2"
from the center pole.

Henry had indicated that he intended to address this problem in the
next revision of the tent.

The design is very nice if you will be spending time in the tent.
When sitting up, you are naturally in the high point of the tent.
Side entry is also great.

Being a general weight weenie, I will likely change to a TT Contrail
for the CDT next year.  (i.e., the Rainbow is now up for sale.)

cheers,
terry