[pct-l] Freestanding tent

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Wed Nov 22 06:55:29 CST 2006

In a message dated 11/22/2006 1:54:54 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
reinholdmetzger at cox.net writes:

On postholer.com Switchback said freestanding tents are  superior to tarp
tents.
I agree, I always like the freebies the best.   Switchback, so how do I go
about getting one of  those free standing tents?  Are they really  free?  How
about the shipping, is that free  also or do they clip you on the shipping to
make up for the free  tent?

-----------------------

Yes, Free Standing tents are free  and do not cost anything.  Wait a minute.
I think I had to buy  mine.  I got cheated.  I got hoodwinked.  I got
scammed.   Someone took advantaged of the old backpacker, Switchback.  This is truly
sad.

Actually, any shelter you are happy with is superior.  Whatever makes  you
happy is fine on the trail.  HYOH.  I made my point about the much  aligned
freestanding tents in this world of super sub atomic ultra light  shelters.

I do not want to see light weight gear becoming an end-all in the gear
world.  I think safety and comfort are most important, then weight  considerations.
 Of course, there is a direct correlation between weight  and comfort.  The
lighter the gear weight, the happier you will be on your  hike.  But only to a
point.  Only to a your safety and  happiness/fun/comfort level.  Why have
light weight if you are compromising  your safety and fun?

I guess if you are out there to prove how tough you are, how light you can
go, or to set some type of record, then you might emphasize light weight  over
other considerations.  Not me.  I am in this to have fun with as  much safety
as possible.  I am a chicken.  I am not going to let the  bad old trail boogie
man get me out there with only my super sub atomic ultra  light gear to
protect me.

Switchback the Trail Pirate
Trail Party Animal and  Fun Hiker