[pct-l] 2006 CDT documentary "The Hike"

dsaufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Thu Nov 23 14:37:42 CST 2006

I couldn't agree more.  I've seen countless photos, slideshows, and videos
of the trail and the places I hiked through this year, but none of the one
or two dimensional views that the media presented could match or in any way
diminish the total sensory experience of actually being in these much fabled
places.

No offense to our talented filmmakers and photographers out there, but film
doesn't capture the sweetness of the air, the warmth of the sun, or the life
in all its forms teeming around you.  It never truly captures the size and
grandeur in a way that communicates it completely. There is an emotional
dimension these places evoke that is deeply personal. I found that there is
no substitute for being there.

A hiker once said that our experiences are as unique as our fingerprints,
due to the multitude of factors that go into how we experience a place.
Which is why you should never put too much stock into any ratings about
conditions up ahead (unless it's someone official telling you the trail is
closed, perhaps).  Having expectations can lead to disappointment when the
reality doesn't match. Take it all in, but take it with a grain of salt
since YMMV.

We all find and make our own adventures, even on the well-worn trail.

L-Rod