[pct-l] Reasons for quitting

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Sat Nov 25 21:44:31 CST 2006

Good evening, Jeff,

Thank you for the thoughtful insight.  Maybe this is a good lesson for those
less-experienced hikers who are trying to decide if they want to try one of
the less crowded variants of hiking the PCT, such as SoBo, or skipping
around away from the herd.  Even with the herd, the further one hikes the
more spread-out it becomes to the point where an individual has the options
of closely associating with others or to keeping substantially to
themselves.

I agree with the General whose writing is quoted below.  I like to plan for
hikes .. and train for them .. because it is a reason to dream.  During a
hike
more dreams keep me thinking about what is over the next rise, in the next
state, on the next hike.

Steel-Eye

"Men speak of dreaming as if it were a phenomenon of night and sleep.  They
should know better. All results achieved by us are self-promised, and all
self-promises are made in dreams awake. Dreaming is the relief of labor, the
wine that sustains us in act. We learn to love labor, not for itself, but
for the opportunity it furnishes for dreaming, which is the great
under-monotone of real life, unheard, unnoticed, because of its constancy.
Living is dreaming. Only in the grave are there no dreams."

- Lew Wallace, from the novel Ben-Hur