[pct-l] Hiking the PCT wihout a shelter?

Steve Courtway scourtway at bpa-arch.com
Tue Nov 28 18:00:39 CST 2006

One evening on the JMT, I waited out a storm in my tarp-tent in Paradise
Valley, and packed it up and kept walking until I dropped after the rain
stopped - no energy to set up, and the storm gone, I slept under the stars -
only to wake up at 3:00 in the morning to realize there was still some heavy
humidity hanging around, which was accumulating on my 30deg down bag -
obviously sending me into a panic, prompting me to jump up and set up my
shelter.....

I'd say not a very good idea....... the parka / hiking pole shelter seems
like a good minimalist solution.

s.c.