[pct-l] shelter or not

JoAnn M. Michael jomike at cot.net
Wed Nov 29 13:11:46 CST 2006

....... the parka / hiking pole shelter seems
like a good minimalist solution.

I personally, though not a thru hiker, would disagree. For any type of dryness for yourself and keeping gear as dry as possible, I still believe in a "non extra light weight" tent. Mine, MontBell Monoframe, is just over 2#s and I'd never not take it. Also, it would give you protection from the very strong winds you will eventually run into. There is a time to save weight and there is a time to be sensible (I try hard to keep gear dry), more comfortable (I'd do most anything to have a dry bag) and safer (less chance of hypothermia). Though, from what I hear, none of this applies to WA! where you'll  most likely be wet no matter what...ugh.

JoAnn
are we there yet