[pct-l] Hiking the PCT wihout a shelter?

Dust pcttdust at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 29 23:59:40 CST 2006

Just what I was thinking.  In every crowd, there are always a few Darwin Award candidates.

Same with misguided bleeding heart types, who think that giving a pint of blood (a day) means giving it to mosquitos by not taking a tent on the pct.

Deems <losthiker at sisqtel.net> wrote:

I fully support Darwin's theory of evolution, in that the survivors through
genetic selection can improve the human genome, and the potential of anyone
to achieve the annual Darwin's award by not adding to the genepool by dying
a memorable death through personal, yet unwise, choices is a very notable
accomplishment. You are free to hike your own hike at your own risk. I just
read an article from the June 2006 PCTA Communicator Magazine, membership
required. Titled "Deaths Lead to Dialogue: Hiker Safety on the PCT", the
respectful memorial ceremony was held at Kennedy Meadows in June 2006 to pay
respect to the (too many) PCT hikers that have died pursuing their dream
while hiking the trail.  One notable memorial was for a hiker that carried
his tent, but forgot to take the rainfly. He had camped in rain and freezing
temperatures, and when he pitched his tent, he discoverd he forgot his
rainfly. He was found dead from hypothermia in his tent. One simple mistake,
is all it takes to die, and be memorialized. Choose a shelter, wisely, that
suits your adventure, experience, equipment, skill level, and you'll
live...... at least another day.

unsubscribe or change options:

For dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.
-Genesis 3:17-19