[pct-l] On Topic/Off Topic

Brick Robbins brick at fastpack.com
Tue Oct 3 13:30:00 CDT 2006

Here are my rules for "on topic/off topic" and since I run the list,
this is what matters.

1)On topic posts relate to the PCT in some direct way.
2)Off topic posts don't.

Don't get too legalese and don't expect any case law to explain
things, this list is ruled by a dictator, not constitution.  I am a
pretty laid back dictator  and I'd rather keep my hands off. Unlike
some other list owners (anybody remember Wingfoot?)

Here is an example of on/off topic posts about a subject: The law soon
requiring passports for travel to Mexico and Canada.

An on topic post might be about how this will effect transport back to
the US after crossing at Manning Park or how it sucks to carry the
unnecessary weight of a passport on a thru hike or if it would be LNT
to use your passport pages for toilet paper on the trail since they
won't degrade.

An off topic post might be how the Bush is a fascist for requiring
people to carry passports and the war on Iraq is horrible and we need
immigration reform to reduce the flow of illegal immigrants across the
southern border.

The humorous posts get more slack than the contentious controversial
ones, and yes the list has a lot of noise on it, but one subscriber's
noise is another's music. Learn how to use filters and your delete
key.

This stuff is not rocket science. Be reasonable, polite and friendly
and we will all get along.

Brick Robbins
PCT-L Admin