[pct-l] ultralight packs

stillroaming pct at delnorteresort.com
Sat Oct 7 22:56:03 CDT 2006

Hey Rebecca,

When choosing a pack, especially in terms of capacity, it's best to start
from the inside out. That is, what gear am I going to have, how much does it
weigh and how much space will it all require? Then choose your pack.
Otherwise, it's like buying clothing for someone without knowing their size.

Also, it's not unrealistic to use more than one pack on your trip. For
instance, you know that you'll be carrying a bear can and snow gear for a
very small part of the trail. Why carry a pack that accomodates the bear can
for the length of the entire trail? Consider using a higher capacity pack,
say, between Mojave and Tahoe, then swap to your smaller pack for the rest
of the trail. You can easily store a frameless 18 oz pack in your driftbox.
You can even use it as storage in your driftbox. :)

I'm politically incorrect and prefer GoLite packs. I've never purchased one
that cost over $100 or weighed more than 19oz. I own 3 of different volumes,
the Gust being the highest volume pack I own and it is the model I use for
the PCT. It sorely lacks features, but it is simple and absolutely bomb
proof.

There is no reason why you should have to carry a pack that weighs more than
20 oz. Here's a list of mfg's you might want to visit that others may have
already suggested:

ULA Gear: http://www.ula-equipment.com
GVP: http://gvp.com
GoLite: http://golite.com

If you're looking for materials for your projects such as, no-seeum mesh,
silnylon ripstop, or anything you can think of go to Outdoor Wilderness
Fabrics: http://owfinc.com

They have *everything* you'll need to make your own gear, *whatever* type of
gear you want.

Have a great trip and savor the planning!
Scott Parks