[pct-l] A little tale of time on the trail

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Tue Oct 10 19:35:04 CDT 2006

"Another thing I enjoyed (childish I suppose) was a big map I put on my
garage wall (pasted up pages from the Delorme map book).  As I completed
each hike, I colored it in.  Staring at, studying, and dreaming about those
blank spaces yet to be colored was a big motivator to get me out there."

Tell your friends.  there is, I think, NO chance of overcrowding the trail.

Tom Bache
La Jolla

Tom,
Your exploration of these sections in 2years via weekends and free time is a
grand accomplishment!  I too, know the feeling of how it feels when it gets
a bit too far to drive and hike new PCT miles in a weekend. I now set up my
2wk vacations for a new 200 mile stretch per year. I nod with respect, and
bow to those that can do the same in a week. I am a 30 year PCT section
hiker.. Your story is a most refreshing tale of time on the grand old trail,
this month on the pct-L.

I have maps of the Marble Mountains, Yosemite NP, and Kings/SequoiaNP on my
wall; To plot future adventures, track my footsteps, and to keep my
exploration of unknown corners of the Sierra alive and fresh, which is to
me, America's grandest alpine playground. If I took them down, it would be
incomprehensible, and depressing. The wall maps serve as a constant reminder
of where I haven't been, and need to hike next...and it allows me to track
other hikers grand adventures quickly. Wall Maps! Other hikers,  what maps
have you put on your walls??

Hikon!