[pct-l] [pct2006] Re: Ray Memorial

Terry Norton terry.norton at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 00:14:28 CDT 2006

Lady J,

WHOA!!! We are engaging in an on-topic, civil discussion.

There may be a difference in viewpoints between backpackers and
mountaineers.  I can claim to have a foot (boot?) in both worlds.

Dealing in gross generalizations and stereotyping....

Backpackers want to experience the wilderness with minimal
intervention.  "Success" is sojourning in the most remote environs
"untouched" by man.  (OK, I generally prefer on trail hiking, so man
has definitely soiled the wilderness.)

Mountaineers have more of a "conquering" viewpoint. "Bag a peak" "Go
big or go home!"  At it's extreme, it is an asault on a mountain.  In
promptu memorials are often made from ice axes or other gear
immediately after the death of a mountaineer.

In discussions with my family, I have been clear that I do not want
any memorial in a wilderness.  (Never mind the approvals to legally
put a memorial on public land.)  I would like my ashes sprinkled in
the mountains after a memorial service with friends.  (I think
spreading ashes is also 'against the rules.')

I have set aside some assets in my will to be donated to several trail
organizations.  If I should ever be worth substantial $$$, I would
consider leaving an endowment dedicated to trail preservation and land
acquisition, but I don't know if I would want my name on it.  I would
have to give up hiking for this to happen!

grace & peace,
terry
(aka: Cheers!)