[pct-l] PCT 2006 DVD Submission Call

Ryan Christensen yosemiteryan at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 12 16:10:28 CDT 2006

2006 PCT Hikers,
  The first snows have hit the Sierra and the flow of hikers to the border is diminishing—indeed the 2006 PCT hiking season is coming to an end. It is now time to start the editing of the PCT 2006 DVD.  Please forward this message to other 2006 PCT hikers. I am initially sending this to the Yahoo 2006 list, PCT-l, and 25 email addresses I collected along the trail. If you know anyone else from the PCT this year—forward this message- then YOU who received it- forward it again to others you know. The more submissions the better.
  This is the call for submissions to all those who wish to contribute to the PCT 2006 DVD. I am looking for pictures and video taken along the PCT this year. It would be great to have as many people as possible contribute to the project so the end result is truly representative of the Class of 2006. The 2006 DVD will follow the tradition started by Weathercarrot in 2004, and Whistler and H in 2005.
   Whistler and H received submissions from around 45 people with a total of 15,000 pictures. To help me out with the editing process, please do the following:
  Photos:
  1.       Organize the photographs into 5 folders- naming the folders Southern California, Central California, Northern California, Oregon and Washington.
  2.       Please delete any photographs that clearly are not usable. This includes way over-exposed or under-exposed photos, completely out of focus photos, and duplicate photos. But be careful:  I also don’t want to lose the chance to add a photograph to the DVD that otherwise would have made it.
  3.       Use full resolution photographs, DO NOT COMPRESS.  Submitted photos will be converted to video that involves panning and zooming- I want to have the pixels to pan and zoom into.
  4.       Whichever format you took the photographs is fine. I am using the Adobe Creative Suite and Production Studio- it can handle everything.
  5.       Burn the folders with the pictures onto disk. DVD or CD will be fine.
  Video:
  For those who captured video on their still cameras: just send the video files as they are. No reason to edit them.
  For those who  captured video on a video camera: If you have hundreds of hours of video- that is too much for me to handle. Please edit them down into pieces you think would work well with the DVD project. I am looking for video  of scenery, people hiking, the trail itself, trail towns,  life at camp, crazy funny shots
 and whatever YOU think is worth adding. I am not so much looking for video of interviews as the DVD will be mostly music.  Send video at full resolution widescreen or full screen.  I am using Adobe Premier Pro—I can convert the files anyway I want.
  For smaller sized video files: burn the files, preferably in whatever format you took it in, to DVD or CD.
  For larger files (i.e. over 4 GB) transfer the video to  a MiniDV tape.  I have a MiniDV camera. Or just burn the files onto several DVD disks.
  Music:
  I need help with music. I have about four songs right now—I need over 20. Please: I am looking for music. I am not so much looking for music with words in them.  I am looking for music in a broad spectrum of genera’s:  instrumental, guitar, new age, beat, trance, and ambiance.  Yes- guitar to trance is a broad spectrum- but basically I am looking for music that works well with amazing video and photos from the Pacific Crest Trail. That is the number one criteria- If you think you have some music that works well- please send it my way.  I need it.  I am focusing on putting together the soundtrack first- then adding the video and pictures.

  I am starting the editing process now. I would like all submission to reach me by the middle to end of November. Please don’t wait until the last minute!
  Also, with your submission include the address you would like the finished DVD to be mailed to. Again, this entire project is on a volunteer process and there is no charge for the DVD.  The DVD will be ready by mid-April.
  Send submissions to:
  Ryan Christensen
  1829 Fir  St.
  Corona, CA 92882