[pct-l] Ray Memorial and bridges or other ideas

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Thu Oct 12 19:40:29 CDT 2006

"Lake Morena has recently put in a new PCT trail head, info center  and
picnic
area that might just be the perfect spot to put a permanent, "nearly  on the
trail but not offending wilderness values", memorial for Ray AND  others who
have perished while pursuing their dreams along the trail.  The  ADZ and
ALDHA-West are pursuing this idea in conjunction with Meadow Ed.
Additional names
could then be added in future years without duplicating  numerous "memorial"
sites along the trail and ruining the wilderness  experience.  Stay tuned.
Aspiring hikers could then get a good dose  of reality early in their hikes
keep them grounded and  careful."

Greg

A bridge dedicated to Ray, or a tasteful plaque in a splendid remote setting
that wouldn't ever be stolen, would be nice; if it suits Ray's and Alice's
desires. The memories of so many hikers he touched is a worthy monument
within itself. This picture is of a plaque I saw on Forester Pass dedicated
to a trail builder that lost his life at the age of 19. Donald Downs died
while building one of the most spectacular sections along the PCT. It is not
easy to find, nor easy to forget when you see it; and through this plaque,
his spirit still lives on with the PCT hikers in the Sierra. I read it
within days of his 75th year of passing on. Ray's spirit is still hiking the
PCT; and a trail plaque would carry his name into the future for generations
of hikers to come. I bow to his family's desire.
http://www.pbase.com/losthiker/image/55557118/large