[pct-l] RE The "Guide book"

Adam Bradley tooloouk79852 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 13 18:38:00 CDT 2006

Here is a most excellent review of the PCT Handbook
from some of this years hikers:

At Stirrup Creek we sat and talked about life in
general (girls), the PCT (and its lack of girls), and
this thing called Yogi's PCT "Handbook", supposedly a
requisite for doing the trail. Yogi is a 40-something
year-old waitress from the mountainous state of Kansas
who's hiked the PCT twice. This enables her to write
such a book and promote it as necessary.

The four of us all agreed the book sets out to
homogenize the trail experience and it not really
needed like the guidebooks are, even though three of
the four of us purchased it. "All the info within
could be ascertained in a matter of minutes on the
trail or in towns...once you've reached that point..."
Whiptail quipped. "You can't expect to walk this far
into the woods relying on a poorly researched,
outdated book."

It is amazing how many folks had complaints about the
information in this book this year.  In fact I did not
hear any positive things being said about it.  Sure
was happy I didn't get sucked in to buying another.
Yogi advised me to write over the mileage in mine
since mine had been outdated by new mileage on the
PCT.
Thanks for the Tip YOGI!

Listo del Norte

Coming soon PCT mythbusters.  WE will be combing
through all the mistakes, inconsistencies, rubbish in
this "guidebook" amongst all the other things you
don't need for a PCT hike.  Or things you shouldn't
let yourself be afraid of or be worried about or
cajoled into buying because you wouldn't be able to
hike the PCT without it.